Background

Monday, September 5, 2011

Fall Splatter: Convergence of Autumn Rhythm and American Apparel

Here's an autumn splatter for you. It's another homage to Jackson Pollock-- the look I was shooting for was Autumn Rhythm (#30) but, color-wise, I ended up somewhere between that and Convergence. I wonder if it would amuse or horrify Jackson Pollock to know that I'm using his paintings as inspiration for my manicures. I figure if the Mona Lisa can be turned into a screen-saver, then being an inspiration for something as pedestrian as a manicure shouldn't be too demeaning, right?

For the base I used American Apparel California Trooper. The splatters were American Apparel Army Jacket, Essie Chinchilly, Barielle Cowl of the Wild, and Barielle Aura Angora. Topcoat is Seche Vite. 

Below: photos without flash, in weak daylight. 



Below: With Flash


And here's the mess! I definitely recommend taping your fingers to speed up the clean-up. 




Anyway, I seem to be getting more adept at this; the paint fumes were more bearable this time.
 Tip: You essentially have four steps in this manicure: 
1. base coat and base color
2. tape and splatter L.
add topcoat. 
3. Tape and splatter R
add topcoat.
4. Add A LOT of time in between steps
 to air out your space, especially between steps 2 and 3.  

Other tips:
I used a bobby pin for flinging the paint. I dipped the bobby pin in the polish bottle, and using it like a bubble wand, I blew the polish on my nails. I've tried using a straw, but I am unable to make it splatter; it just sends big globs of polish at my nails.

Cleanup:
A paintbrush dipped in acetone works much better than a q-tip. Much more precise. 

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I use vaseline or chapstick instead of tape for clean up. Tape works great but just feels funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I had fun with this one. I'll have to try vaseline instead of tape sometime. Is there a way to keep the polish from smearing into your skin during cleanup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa: You're right! I didn't even realize that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I am not "fan" of the splatter nail mani but this looks AWESOME!! You did a REALLY good job :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...